[Gpdd] [CARE] Towel Questions

GyfuFaery at aol.com GyfuFaery at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 11:12:21 EST 2005

I use towels for my boys. I used bedding for a short period of time  when I
first got Moka, and then BrownyBoy, but switched to towels after a couple  of
bedding changes because of the cost and then, inconvenience of disposing  of
the bedding. Also, my DSO hated when the bedding got on the  floor.

The boys pen is made with the cubes only, no cloroplast. It is 3  X 6 on top
of a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood. The plywood is covered with vinyl table  cloths.

I start with a thick layer of newspaper (an entire section opened flat),
then cover that with bath towels spread open as their floor.

In the areas (the caves) were they rest/sleep I put another bath towel that
i have tripple folded. These I change daily or every other day, depending on
how  dirty/wet they are. I also sweep (with a hand broom) and pick up the rest
of  their pen on a daily basis.

I change their whole pen every 4 to 6 days depending on how  wet/dirty it is.

In their hay lofts I use hand towels over newspaper, changing them as
needed.

In their tents I either use thinner towels that I tripple fold then fold in
half or 2 or 3 hand towels folded in half. These I change as needed. BrownyBoy
 does not pee in his tent as much as Moka, so his tent doesn't need to be
changed  as often as Moka's. I clean out the poops daily.

I wash 2 loads of towels when I change the complete pen. I  use the same
laundry detergent I use on our clothes to wash the  towels. I use the extra rinse
cycle on my machine to  wash everything. I add 1/2 a cup of white vinegar in
the final  rinse to remove any residual detergent.

Most of the towels I purchased at WalMart. They are nice towels, but  not the
expensive ones. Some of the towels, the thinner ones, I got from my
sister-in-law. A couple of the towels I have had for several years and decided  to use
them for the boys.

I hope this helps.

Dawn and the  Boys, Moka, BrownyBoy
and, always in my heart,  Frankie.