[Gpdd] New Member

emartin emartin at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 3 17:11:26 EST 2005

I stumbled across your wonderful newsletter while researching info on vets
for guinea pigs.  I have been so wonderfully surprised by the support you
all offer one another!

I currently have three guinea pigs and love them dearly.
I started with one for my 6 yr old daughter, it was a rescue from Petco,
she was being given away.  They thought she was a he!  Cuddles was our
first and my daughter, while still interested, doesn't have the attachment
that I have developed with Cuddles.  Then for Christmas, I was getting
items for my son's hamster at another pet store and saw our dear little
Pickles.  He looked so sad.  Just a few days later, my husband brought him
home for me.  He was the reason I found your listing.

Since being home, he has itched himself raw.  I took him to a vet who
admitted to little experience with GPigs.  He determined it wasn't fungal
and gave me a shampoo for dogs and said to bath him every other day until
it went away.  The shampoo seemed to help his raw scrapes and scratches,
but has not helped the hair or itchiness, so I was trying to find a
knowledgeable vet in the area.  I am happy to report that I found a
wonderful vet in Concord, NH who has a specialty in exotics.  Pickles goes
tomorrow morning.  I will keep you posted on what it is.

In the meantime, I found an ad at work that said someone needed to give
away another guinea pig.  I immediately responded, loving my two dearly,
knowing I have enough love for three, I called and Casper came home two
weeks ago Saturday.  Caspers' owners though she was a boy.  I was
pleasantly surprised to find Casper is a she.

All three are housed in separate cages, though they can see one another.  I
am looking forward to being able to let them out  to play together in the
near future...once Pickles is deemed healthy.  Until then, they spend time
with me while I work in the office one at a time, snuggling and squeaking.

Thank you for this wonderful newsletter.

Cuddles 2yr female, ridgeback tri-color brown, orange, white.
Pickles 4 month old male, ridgeback silver & White
Casper 1 yr old female, not sure breed white smooth coat

Liz, Cuddles, Pickles, & Casper