[Gpdd] Re: Announcement: Old enough?

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 00:12:08 EST 2005

Hercules,
I normally keep my writings to offer some peace of heart to those that have
lost their beloved little guys and girls and in an effort to help keep their
names alive in the hearts of all the readers of the digest. After reading your
valiant tale of how you survived such a terrible situation, I was compelled to
write. You could not have touched more hearts than you did in how you brought
the point home that guinea pigs nor ANY LIVING thing should be considered when
giving a youngster his or her first pet. I can't believe that ANYONE would
believe a 3 year old infant would be capable of caring for anything let alone a
living thing. I wonder if this child's parents would leave him or her at a
busy intersection at age 3 believing that the child was intelligent enough to
cross it on their own???They would be appalled at such a ridicules statement.
The point I make is that if a child is not capable of caring for him or her
self, how possibly can they care for a "pet"???? From your story, it is apparent
that these parents have a great deal to learn about life and the value of it. I
cannot speak highly enough of the people at the Critter Corral and the work
they do for our little guys. I have helped support them since I learned of
their existence. Not only do they care for those unwanted and rescued little
piggies but they have a special care section and a senior section of little guys
that need a little extra help. If you, and I believe you are, are anything like
me, there can never be enough done for these little gifts from God. Well, the
Critter Corral is the answer to that prayer. I am not saying they are the ONLY
ones doing this but I know that they are one I trust and believe in. So
Hercules, your story is one that hopefully will resonate with all that read this
publication and when the readers overhear at a pet shop a parent speaking of a
starter pet, speak up and ask how old is the child and help "educate" these
parents in what a life is regardless of it's "size" Thank you for telling us your
story and thank you Critter Corral for being there to rescue the brave and
strong Hercules!

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Petrillo, GEORGE the guinea pigs daddy forever