[Gpdd] [CARE] Giving meds to reluctant piggies

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:23:32 EST 2005

Hello all!

I just wanted to share my medicine-giving-experience with everyone. My beloved Nigel, who passed at the ripe old age of 10 in 2003, had to have antibiotics periodically for an abscess that would never completely heal and he was also on Lasix for a little while. The antibiotics (Baytril) I had on good authority from my cat Rudy and my dog Paige were horribly yucky tasting.

So I tried several different methods and all of them seemed to work much better than trying to convince Nigel that just two seconds of yuckiness would make him feel so much better. In Kalamazoo, there is a compounding pharmacy and they make specially flavored medicines for pets. They have liver and beef flavors for dogs, fish for cats, and tutti-frutti for rodents and birds.Meds go down much better if it tastes like tutti-frutti! So check and see if you have some sort of compounding pharmacy in your area or check the internet because I know this particular pharmacy does ship to people all over.

The other method I tried and had some success with was to disguise the medicine in some baby food, squash being Nigel's favorite. Although bananas came in a close second!

I hope this helps, I know I was desperate to try and do anything to make him feel better and not so stressed and these things seemed to help me.

Good luck!
Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks