[Gpdd] HEALTH: *Comment about vomiting GPs*

SUSAN EASTIN susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 4 17:44:03 EST 2005

Lisa-
I was surprised to read what you had to say about gp's vomiting. I don't doubt your word, it's just that I have always read that they can't vomit, and that is why we don't have to worry about withholding food or drink before surgery.  Geez, that's scary, if that is the widespread belief.
Of course, the books also say gp's don't climb or jump, and our new little guys do both!

Someone recommended feeding sunflower seeds to add some fat to the diet for their dry skin;
I'll see if I can find any more on that like how much, etc.  I do know it cannot be in the shells,
and you don't want it salted.  That makes it very hard to find, but I did finally find some in the produce dept. with the soybeans, etc.  I just sprinkled a few over their buffet each day, but for the most part they get tossed aside. The condition seemed to take care of itself (maybe something in the Mazuri feed we're now using), and I was always a little afraid they would choke on one, so I'm not feeding them now.
If I can find out more I'll let you know. But I'm sure you're on the right track, it would surely be best to deliver it internally than just apply it topically.  In the meantime, can you add any humidity to the room?  I'm sure we're all suffering from dry skin these days.
Let us know if you find anything that works.
Susi and the Okie Piggies