[Gpdd] Misc.: Response to abuse at Ohio school

SUSAN EASTIN susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 4 23:52:30 EST 2005

Jim-
After reading your letter, and those of some of the others who have responded to the tragic
actions at the Ohio school, I thought I would share the letter I sent. This went to both Mr Gage, the principal, and to Mrs. Stevens, the teacher responsible for the assignment.  Unfortunately,
I doubt anything actually comes of this once the publicity dies down.
------
"Mrs. Stevens:
The following is a copy of the letter I just sent to Mr. Gage concerning the recent incident
in your class.  Surely you did not intend the students to go out and murder pets, but somehow this boy is not getting the message. And just as surely, if nothing is done, more students will get the message this conduct is tolerated, that 'lower life' is meaningless. And where will they draw the line?
S Eastin

"Mr Gage:
Having just learned of the horrific actions at your school in the guise of survival skills or cooking or whatever it was called, I felt I must speak out.  I'm sure you have heard many complaints, and I will be surprised if you are even reading your mail now.
What must the administration and faculty be thinking to allow such callous actions?!! This is not survival - did the boy go hunting? This is not a recipe. This is sadly another malicious act by one of the kids on the edge. Not exactly Columbine, but where will he be next year? What will we read about at your school next year?  You know that experts tell us the serial murderers usually start out with crimes against animals and crimes against other children. Well, this certainly should be considered a crime.
This came to my attention through friends on a website devoted to the care of guinea pigs. Anyone who got to know these gentle, loving creatures could never condone something such as this. Yes, I know that in some third world, South American countries the wild cavies are eaten, but then those people are surviving. They can't drive to the A&P for steaks or have a pizza delivered. There is a difference. That is what you should be teaching your students.
Thank you for your time.
Susi
A parent, a teacher, and an animal lover"