[Gpdd] Health: Mammary Tumor Again

BunsnPigs at aol.com BunsnPigs at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 08:17:12 EST 2005

Jennifer, you are right to question your vet.  The person who wrote  that her
guinea pig had fatty tumors and was fine either was lucky or they  weren't
located on the mammary gland itself. She used the plural 'tumorS' - this
usually happens to one breast.

This is what my vet said, and she is one fantastic and knowledgeable vet. I
thought I already sent it to you. I am getting a piggy back today after being
adopted for 2 years (long story) who has been undergoing treatment for 4
weeks  now with another vet, same as what you are describing, and NO CHANGE.
Because..  well, it usually won't go away. Biopsy done, the whole 9 yards, and at
what  cost? Britches' surgery is already scheduled for Monday.

"Needle biopsies of breast masses are rarely diagnostic since they are of a
cell type that doesn't exfoliate (this means you can't get tissue for a decent
 biopsy so they are usually negative, which your piggy's was as well).
Plus, even benign tumors can transform into malignant ones with time.  I
recommend removing them when they are small. "

At any rate, good luck, Jennifer. I would like to know if it does go away
and it helps. Naturally, I don't like putting them through surgery if I don't
have to.

Judi  Lainer
Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue
Round Hill, VA