[Gpdd] Announcement: Cleo

David Blair notinKeys at netscape.net
Mon Feb 7 23:20:27 EST 2005

Sometimes, you meet someone who you know is special down to the center of their soul. For me, that's been Cleo.

A few years ago, I got a call from our vet telling us they had someone call and ask if there was anyone that may be willing to adopt two guinea pigs, because they were tired of them and if they couldn't find a home they would just have them put down. My vet called and, of course, we ended up with two new guinea pigs. Their names were Cleopatra, and Nefertiti. Their cage was smallish, and had a second level where the food dish rested. There was a ladder for them to use, but Nefer loved to knock it down. For her, it was no issue since she was young and strong. Cleo, though, had a mild case of head tilt, and also had a weakness in her front left leg and side. When she had trouble hopping up for food, I would come lift her to the second level.

Soon, being the smartest piggie I've known (followed closely by Nefer) she learned that if she came to the corner I would come for her and find what she wanted. She developed the sense of getting help all on her own.

Over time, I came to realize this one was a remarkable piggie, and I came to feel very close to her. Her spirit was remarkable, and her willpower kept her from ever letting her weak side stop her. She had more personality than any piggie I ever met, and that is remarkable considering some of the little ones we've had. If ever I knew a piggie with character, it was Cleo.

Last year, my job situation required that I work out of town, and along with me came my special buddy Blizzard (who lived only 3 days there), and Cleo and Nefer. It was not a pleasant experience and Cleo and Nefer were the biggest reason I made it through. Through good fortune, I had purchased a camera which allowed me to make short digital movies, and I have a handful with the two of them, and each alone. I just watched each as I found Cleo had crossed the bridge an hour ago, resting in her pigloo.

This is the fourth I've lost in the last six weeks, and the 10th in the last 2 years. It is very hard to say goodbye to a piggie, but for me, Cleo was more than just a piggie. I never thought I'd say this afer piggies like DadPig, Blizzard, Cinder, Little Pepper, and some others... but this may have been the most special pet I ever had. The character, her personality, her strength, and her affection always amazed me. I have a huge hole in my life now, and I will miss her very, very much for a long time.

David

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.