[Gpdd] [Behavior] Strange noises

butzm at ece.osu.edu butzm at ece.osu.edu
Tue Feb 8 07:44:10 EST 2005

Hello to all pig lovers!

I had a question about a noise that, I believe, Sam keeps making.  I've
only noticed it recently, about in the last month.  At night, when I'm
trying to go to sleep I'll hear him make a yelp sound.  Not a wheep or a
squeak, more like a yelp that a small dog would make.  Most of the time
it's isolated, but last night he made about 3 in succession.  Then there
was a lot of movement in the cage, but I didn't notice him scratching.  It
seemed almost like he had fleas.  I remember my dogs from when I was a kid
having that reaction to fleas.  I don't believe he's itchy though and it
only happens once in a while when everyone has gone to bed.  I know it's
not the sound he makes when he stretches.  Has anyone ever experienced
this before?  Sam is much louder than most pigs from what I've heard and
maybe he is just making noises that all pigs make, but most slaves don't
hear.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam, Rosie, and head slave Maren