[Gpdd] Astragalus

Dee and Joe deeclark at rcn.com
Sat Feb 12 02:31:17 EST 2005

Hi,

Honey went to her vet today and her condition remains the same.  That is
good considering all her problems.

She is still on Lasix, but off antibiotics for now as she isn't responding
to them.  Dr. Warner suspects a chronic viral infection because it doesn't
get better on antibiotics.  We will continue to treat her symptoms and hope
for the best.  One lung is still full and she gurgles when she breathes most
of the time.  We didn't do another ultrasound, but suspect the fluid is
still around her heart.  She seems rather listless a lot of the time except
when we come to the cage.  Then she will beg for a treat or to be petted.  I
know she is feeling better when she runs when I try and pick her up instead
of just sitting there :) She is a fighter to have come this far.

I open the wall that separates her side of the cage from Juliet's for a time
each day so they can 'play' together.  Juliet gets Honey moving so she gets
some exercise.

Dr. Warner gave me a herbal medicine to try.  It is called Astragalus and is
supposed to help the immune systems.  She said she has used it before in
small animals and rodents with success.  Anyone know anything about it? I
got some info from a Google search, but would like some info from someone
who has used it.

Thanks,
Dee