[Gpdd] MISC. - oranges

SUSAN EASTIN susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 12 09:43:33 EST 2005

Carla and Leah-
Your stories about the oranges hit home here, too.  Up til recently, the OP's have considered
oranges, or any citrus fruit, to be some sort of danger. They would sniff from a distance, then
run away. As long as the offender remained in their home, they would take great pains to
avoid it. Since the new little guys came at Christmas time, however, things have changed.
As I've mentioned before, Hotshot and Buzzz(erre) never read the GP books, nor have they
consulted with their elders here. They love oranges, cucumbers, green peppers . . . just
about everything the others should like but don't. So now that has gotten the others to
wondering and having second thoughts. They have actually tasted these things, and
decided they are just fine after all!
As for strawberries (and I have seen them in the stores already, but too pricey for me!) -
the OP's would enjoy a few fresh leaves, but didn't really care for the fruit (fine with me!).
They don't seem to care much for anything soft, like strawberries or canteloupe or peaches.
They like crisp apples and sometimes watermelon, and Rosie and LW actually prefer the
stalks of the parsley over the tops! Snowy has very strict rules about parsley, and has
instructed the others that the proper (and only) way to eat parsley is from the tip of the
stalk first. If a careless slave should happen to hand you a piece improperly, you must
first turn it around, tip first, before taking a bite (then chew like crazy so you're ready
for the next piece!).  Another funny parsley tale - although I would never do it deliberately,
when two pigs decide on the same piece of parsley, it's hilarious to watch the ensuing
tug of war!  I do try to offer a second piece to break it up, but they are often both reluctant
to be the one to turn loose of the prize!  One more thing I've noticed with the OP's - when
enjoying any treat, they have the manners to carefully finish chewing whatever is in their
mouth before accepting another treat, no matter how tempting.
Endless entertainment!
So if your piggies aren't really into the strawberries this spring, offer them a leaf or two,
if you're lucky enough to get a bunch with fresh leaves attached. I have raised them in
my flower bed, and tho' I never get enough berries to satisfy my own cravings, it's really
enough for the piggies (and I know there was nothing sprayed on them).
Wheeks to all, and Happy Valentines Day!
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy, CocoPuff, Lil' Whistle & Rosie
Hotshot & Buzzzerre