[Gpdd] [Health] Itchy Piggie - Dry skin?

butzm at ece.osu.edu butzm at ece.osu.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:44:22 EST 2005

Well, when my Sam had mites it was several months after I brought him
home.  My vet said that it's not unusual for them to show up that late.
He also was very itchy behind the ears.  When he get ear mites he gets
that white stuff on his outer ear.  That's one indication to me that he
need ear drops.  So some investigating online and you can probably find
what is best for your pig.  I used an ear medication that came from at pet
store (no animals!) that is safe for pigs, rabbits, etc (as I recall).
When I first started using it it would take about 3 days for the
discoloration to go away and he would get them back quite often.  However,
we haven't had ear mites for quite awhile.  I think I may have left a toy
with him that had the mites still living.  So if you think it's mites
clean the cage when he gets his medicine and any toys you usually leave
with him, throw them away or clean them thoroughly.

Hope that helps.
Sam, Rosie, and Maren