[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Rock cavies at Washington National Zoo

rjpugh at comcast.net rjpugh at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 16:58:56 EST 2005

To any guinea pig fan who lives in the Washington-Baltimore area, or expects to be traveling through it soon, try to visit the National Zoo.  In the small
animal house (famous for it's Golden Lion Tamarins) can be found several rock
cavies.  They are scattered around the building, acting as components in
multi-species displays, so be sure to look around carefully.

The rock cavy, as most of us know, is the originator of the small, furry
creature we know and love.  The physical resemblance can be fleeting at times, as they have a dull grey coat, and look very rat-like.  But if you watch them for a few moments, the family connection becomes very clear.  Their manarisms are exactly the same as our domesticated friends!  It was amazing to watch the little guys skitter around the displays, cast glances at whatever animal was their roommate, perch in the branches of trees in either the "loaf of bread" or "classic crescent" positions, and in one case, try to make more rock cavies!  (D'oh!)

It's been said that if you watch wolves you will soon see the same manarisms and behaviors shown by domestic dogs.  The same is apparently true for rock cavies and guinea pigs.

I truly enjoyed watching the guinea pig's wild cousins at the National Zoo, and
I would encourage any guinea pig fan to do the same.  You will be amazed.

--
Richard J. Pugh: the Cyberbard
http://rjpugh.home.comcast.net/