[Gpdd] Health: Clover

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Mon Feb 14 17:06:09 EST 2005

Janet and Clover,
We hope Clover is doing better now and responding to the medicine. We wish we could offer you lots of good advice, but luckily we have never had a Piggie with bloat. We have read that members of the cabbage/mustard family can cause gas if given too often: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mustard greens, kale, and brussel sprouts. We try to limit our Piggies to once or twice a week just to be on the safe side. Peppers seem to be just fine, just make sure you completely remove all the seeds, as they are poisonous. Peppers are our Piggies primary vitamin c sources; red peppers are higher in vitamin c, but our Piggies love green also.

Not too long ago other members posted the following information about treating bloat. I just copied and pasted it for you.
"I recommend all piggie slaves keep a bottle of children's gas medication (symethacone) on hand in case of bloat.  It is deadly if not treated right away.  Also, some Bene-Bac for when they are on antibiotics.

On Guinea Lynx, it states you should: "Try 1/2 pediatric dose 2 or 3 times a day." "I use .15cc, give or take a bit (its 1/2 the low end infant dose), and I use it 2x per day." You must also see a vet for severe gas but this can relieve mild gas discomfort."

"We've used simethicone for some time; it is used to relieve gas in piggies. Before I go into brands and how much to use, let me say that *occasional* digestive discomfort in a piggie can be normal (if they eat too much too fast, or sometimes a new type of fruit or vegetable), but if the gas happens often, or the piggie is bloated (puffy), you need to see a vet, as this is a symptom of a digestive tract disorder called gut stasis. If your piggie is passing irregularly-shaped droppings, soft droppings or has diarrhea, has a reduced or no appetite, and appears "puffy" (as in hair fluffed out), these are additional  symptoms. It's important to see a qualified exotics vet with guinea pig experience, as there is medication that can help. Even without medication, gut stasis can be managed - but it can be a long, slow process, taking weeks or months.

Additionally, if your piggie is bloated to the point that their abdomen is swollen and hard, you need to see a vet IMMEDIATELY, as this is a life-threatening situation.

Now, about simethicone: Sweetie Pigg had a finicky digestive system (along with all her other problems); she would get a tummyache for one reason or another, usually because she ate too fast and swallowed air. We'd give her 0.1cc (one-tenth of one cc) simethecone, and a tummy rub to help break up the gas bubbles (tummy rub about 5 minutes after dosing).

She was quite happy with the Wal-Mart "Equate" brand: you can use any infant/child "gas medication", but *read the label* and make certain it contains simethicone and not a different chemical.

The simethicone can be repeated in 15 - 20 minutes if need be; we never had to give more than a couple of doses."

I hope some of this information helps you. I try to copy down stuff that we may need later, just in case. Good luck. We will light a candle for Clover and keep her in our prayers.

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is

"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."