[Gpdd] Care: Feeding Bud

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Wed Feb 16 15:20:40 EST 2005

Carla,
   I understand your frustration. I have done tons of research lately in an attempt to make sure our Piggies get the best foods in their diet.
   Although some sources do caution against apples, oranges, and other fruits with acids, I also have read in several places that these are okay occasionally. Our piggies get them a couple times each week. To minimize the effects of the acids on their lips you should always peel the apple (then it won't cut their lips) and section the fruit into cubes. If they are bite size, they won't have to stretch their little mouths around a large piece, causing less irritation to the corners of their mouth.
   Celery and cucumber are fine, as long as they act as a supplement to veggies with higher levels of vitimin c. I was nervous about them getting enough, so when our vet recommended getting a little 5 pound postal scale I was excited. I can be confident knowing that they always get enough vitamin c.
   Our Piggies get a couple slices of green pepper for breakfast with some romaine, another veggie, and an occasional fruit. At dinner time, they get a couple slices of red pepper, a tomato section, more romaine, and another veggie. The peppers are super high in vitimin c.
   Lettuce is okay once in a while. It really is just crunchy water without much nutrtional value, however do avoid iceburg. It contains laudinum in trace amounts. I give our Piggies red leaf and green leaf lettuce leaves weekly, but they LOVE romaine!
   Here are some links I included a while back. I try to keep a little daily log to track what I give them. I am up to a three day rotation, so they do get variety and I don't have to go produce shopping constantly!
http://www.cavycompendium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7741 -- An incredible list of good fresh foods and dangerous ones.
http://guinealynx.info/ -- Great Piggie info, including a fresh food list I use almost daily, and info about what hays are good.
http://www.salcavies.com/health/feeding.shtml -- Piggie fresh foods

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is

"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."