[Gpdd] Misc: Pigs at school

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 22:04:16 EST 2005

Hi gpdd'ers ~~

Lisa's note and the responding suggestions were really great to read! I
learned so much. I'm a Pre-K teacher, so I feel silly that I hadn't
thought of so many great ideas you all offered. after all, that's how I
got my piggies in the first place! When we were deciding on a class pet,
the school principal found these little guys. They were a complete
surprise!

Thus a huge chapter in my life was born. Poor Snickers and Snowball!
Talk about on the job training! Somehow they made it through those first
bitter 6 weeks at school when I knew nothing about their care. Finally I
brought them home for good and their quality of life soared. They grew
into extra-large piggies, each weighing over 3 pounds!  Sometimes they
look like small dogs.  (watchdogs of course, Leah : ) Last year they did
visit the kids on one or two occasions. I set them up in the most quiet
corner of the classroom and brought the kids to them in small groups of
3 - 5. I'm going to copy these "piggie at school" files with all the
great suggestions for when they go back to visit. Good luck as our
Guinea Pig Ambassador Lisa. Didn't know that March is adopt-a-guinea-pig
month. Bye for now and Rodents Rule!

Carla, Snickers and Snowball