[Gpdd] MISC. - the REAL rescue

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Fri Feb 18 11:15:15 EST 2005

Hi,

     There have been so many wonderful rescue stories that I wanted to put a slightly different slant on rescues, my perspective. For several years I've had a developing physical condition which is extremely painful and very discouraging. One of the things that is so discouraging is that I look completely normal and can do most things I've always done but it is very painful. The doctor has told me that no one will ever die from this condition but I've told my husband that there are many days when that is NOT good news. Sometimes I'd just like to be done with the struggle. I have picked up by reading the Digest that many of you out there also have physical problems of some type. These problems certainly often lead to depression and that is where I was last winter.

     Something got me thinking about the guinea pigs of my childhood and I had been thinking of getting one. No one, including my husband, knew I had these thoughts. In April my niece was confirmed and we went to their house after the confirmation for dinner. She had a guinea pig, I held it, and within two weeks Bud was a family member in my house.
      I didn't rescue Bud...he rescued me. There were many days when it seems like the only reason I had to get out of bed was just to see Bud. Caring for him, worrying about him, playing with him, just petting him, took my mind off myself.
     Things are better for me now with treatments I'm getting but I've told my husband that whenever I am depressed or feel like crying, it's an automatic reaction to go stand by Bud's cage and pet him. He purrs, licks me and I feel better. Here is one little soul that is ALWAYS there for me. My husband is a saint but he's at work so much and we all have chores to do. Bud is never too busy for me. He loves me wholeheartedly and has saved my sanity. THAT'S A RESCUE and I'll always love him for it.

Carla and Faithful Bud