[Gpdd] HEALTH - Bloaty tummy

J D jodennett366 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 15:12:44 EST 2005

Hi,

A few weeks ago I picked up one of my pigs, Tassle, and I immeadiately knew
that something was wrong. His tummy was very gassy and he became lethargic
and wouldn't eat properly. A week later I took him to the vets and she
explained that the trapped gas would have been caused when his stomach
slowed down because of him not eating. He was put on septrin antibiotics and
given an injection of something which I cannot remember the name of. A week
later his tummy felt a bit better and he was back eating normally, because
his tummy was still not right his vet put him on zantac for a week. I don't
think this made a difference and now his has been zantac free for a week now
and his tummy is worse. I have tried giving him gripe water (about 1ml and
then a day later another 1ml) he is still ballooned up.

I do have the option for x-rays and surgery, but I think this is much too
risky, Tassle is four this month and he's always had 'dodgy' breathing so I
really do not think he could cope with anesthetic.

Any ideas how to get rid of gas? Should I try give him more gripe water?

Thanks in advance,

Jo & pigs

jodennett366 at hotmail.com