[Gpdd] health:piggie with sometimes crusty eyes

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Tue Feb 22 16:41:27 EST 2005

Jaime and Albert,
I wouldn't be too concerned about Albert's eyes unless he has trouble seeing sometimes or other symptoms, like trouble breathing or raspiness. Most Guinea Pigs sleep with their eyes open, as they are prey animals and this functions to keep them alive and safe. I sometimes notice crustiness around the eyes of my boys. Usely it seems to happen after they are doing a lot of burrowing. It is a natural reaction of the eye to produce a discharge if it is irritated by a foreign object. But...ultimately you have to trust your gut. When I start to feel concern for my Piggies, I immediately schedule a vet appointment. Once or twice I have overreacted, but at least I had confirmation that nothing was wrong those times. I have always figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is
"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."