[Gpdd] [HEALTH] First trip to the Vet.....

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 17:49:35 EST 2005

Our guinea pig Parsifal had this a couple of times.
The first time it was related to the URI he and
Satchel had when we first adopted them.  It went away
with antibiotics.  A couple of years later he
developed an abscess there which required surgery.  It
actually required two surgeries and antibiotic beads
were implanted in the second surgery (no charge for
the second surgery) and it never came back.  But his
teeth never grew in straight after the abscess showed
up the first time.  So they had to be trimmed on a
regular basis.  The vet was filing them with a dremel
in the office and we were going to switch to cutting
them.  We were going to learn how to cut them at home
but Parsifal passed away last December right after I
had learned how to do it at the vet office.  He was an
elderly guinea pig and in the end I think it was all
just too much stress for his little body.  I hope this
doesn't sound grim, I don't think it is for all
piggies.  Many factors are involved.  One of our other
guinea pigs had what I thougt were tumors but they
were just fatty deposits.
Good luck at your vet visit.  Let us know how it goes.

Lydia