[Gpdd] [HEALTH] tooth fell out

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 17:57:40 EST 2005

Healthy guinea pigs shouldn't need their teeth
trimmed.  I would definitely take your pig in to be
examined to find out why the tooth fell out in the
first place.  Make sure there isn't some sort of
infection, etc.  The problem now is that the top tooth
does not have anything to wear itself down against and
it will need to be trimmed on a regular basis.  It's
really good that you cut food up for him.  Watch him
while he eats and see what he still has trouble with
so you can cut or tear things up for him.  I've had to
do that for bunnies and a pig that had tooth problems.
 Sometimes a vet will recommend removing a tooth
instead of trimming.  But removing can be really
painful for them so it's not always the first option
unless there is an infection.  Age and general health
are also factors.  Is your vet well versed in guinea
pigs?  Make sure you have a vet who really knows what
they are doing when it comes to exotics.  Good luck
and let us know how it goes.

Lydia