[Gpdd] Care: Bedding

Karenluntw at aol.com Karenluntw at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 16:38:27 EST 2005

On the subject of bedding, I too have tried several options.  My boy  Rex had
a terrible time with the Care Fresh because it was so hard and lumpy on  his
feet.  He actually developed a swollen ankle when I used that  stuff.  I also
found Care Fresh to be too expensive for a CC cage.  I  checked out a few web
sites on gp care, and I now use shredded newspaper.   For what I was paying
for Care Fresh, I invested in a decent shredder, and now  use newspaper.  I find
I have to change the cage twice a week.  I  first put down a layer of
newspaper, then put shredded paper on top of  that.  My one guinea pig Rajah who
suffers from respiratory problems, has  had no problems with the paper option, and
Rex's ankle improved  immediately.  There is also the advantage of no mites
hiding in paper like  there is with aspen and pine.  It's a thought.  Good luck
on your  quest for the perfect bedding.

Karen slave to Rex, Rajah, and Rocket