[Gpdd] [HEALTH] taking piggies to the vet in the winter

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 03:13:27 EST 2005

Hi.  I live in California so we've mostly been dealing
with rain!  You should definitely have a small sized
pet carrier for your pig.  We have all sorts of sizes
for our pigs, bunnies and cats.  I recommend one that
is considered airline safe.  Some have seatbelt clips
so that you can strap them in.  This way if the worst
happens and you get in an accident, they won't go
flying around the car.  If it is sturdy, like the
airline safe ones, they will hold up well and clean up
easily if they pee.  They can chew through soft
materials and then your froo-froo carrier won't hold
much.  I always put old towels in to line the carrier.
 The pigs like to burrow so I cut up old sweat pants
for them to crawl under.  If you don't have old comfy
clothes to cut up, go to the local fabric store and
buy some fleece on sale.  Look for the end pieces or
discontinued styles because they are cheaper.  Give
your pig lots of padding and lots of layers to snuggle
into and they should be fine.  You can also drape a
towel or blanket over the carrier when you are going
from car to building, etc.  The one thing about fleece
is that if they pee, be careful when you shake it out.
 The pee doesn't really absorb like a terry towel
would so it goes flying everywhere, and I know this
from experience!  You could also put hay in the
carrier for warmth but that gets messy.

Good luck!

Lydia

PS-I just reread your question and may have over
answered it.  If so I'm sorry about that.