[Gpdd] HEALTH: GP impactions

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 03:52:45 EST 2005

When we first adopted our guinea pig Mikey (he died
last year 6/04) he had mites so bad that he had open
bleeding sores.  He came into the rescue that way and
was in mid-treatment when we adopted him.  The rescue
put non-stick pads on him then wrapped him in that
bright neon vet wrap, the stretchy kind that doesn't
stick to the skin.  Well anyway I didn't have the vet
wrap and when Mikey would scratch himself he would
scream.  So I went to the 99 cents store and bought
toddler sized socks.  I cut the foot off of them and
slipped them over Mikey's middle.  It was snug enough
that he couldn't slide it off by walking along boxes
or walls but not so snug that it harmed him.  But it
did give him a slight hour glass figure for a while.
But it kept the non stick pad in place and when he
scratched he didn't hurt himself and scream.  Mikey
was young and not a fully grown guinea pig at the time
so we had to experiment with sock sizes.  I orignally
cut up adult size socks and he scooted right out of
them by walking up against boxes.
I always have Ivermectin on hand because it is SO much
cheaper to treat at home.  I always go to the vet for
a diagnosis and they tell me how much and how often.
For the guinea pigs I mix it with apple juice and give
it orally.  Anyway you can get it with a prescription
from Valley Vet Supply for $29.95 with free shipping.
Most vets charge $30 for one injection.  Here is the
link
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=30E07552-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5&ccd=IFF003
.  I have also ordered lactated ringers from them for
$2.99 a bag (when you buy 12 bags or else it is $3.49
a bag plus $5.00 shipping) plus free shipping.  Most
people don't need 12 bags so you can split an order
with a friend or your local rescue.
One of the ways we save money is by doing as many
treatments as we can at home.  I always have generic
Baytril on hand as well as pain meds, fluids,
syringes, etc.  I'm happy to pass on links if anyone
needs them.  Of course we have still spent thousands
in vet bills for all of those things we can't do, like
spays, neuters, x-rays and all those other fun things.
 But we do save quite a bit by being prepared.
What do people have in their guinea pig first aid
kits?
Has anyone else used flour to stop bleeding nails when
they are cut too close?  Satchel has black nails and
holding a flash light up to them does nothing to help.
 Styptic powder makes me nervous because one time I
was trimming my cockatiel's nails and when I was using
the powder she got all squirmy and it got in her eye.
We flushed her eye right away but still took her to
the vet.  Luckily she didn't get an ulcer from the
styptic powder but ever since it makes me nervous.
Someone on one of the bunny groups mentioned using
flour in a pinch and I find it works quite well.  I
just scoop some into a small sushi dipping cup and
then dip the paw in the cup.  Other than looking like
he has a drug problem, it works well and seems safer.
I'm sorry this is so long.  Good luck with your vet
trip tomorrow.  I'd like to know what everyone has in
their first aid kits.

Lydia