[Gpdd] HEALTH generic Baytril

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 01:06:02 EST 2005

Hi Marion.  I definitely have a prescription for the
Enrofloxacin (generic Baytril).  Your vet can call
Golden Gate Vet Pharmacy or GGVP can call your vet.
GGVP is very helpful in letting you know what the best
deal will be for you and as long as your vet agrees to
prescribe it, you can buy 100 capsules instead of 60
and save a lot of money.  Or if they are compounding
medicine for you, you can get an extra few ounces for
just a little bit more money.  But usually compounded
medicine doesn't last very long.  The enrofloxacin is
cheaper than Baytril because it is generic.  I find it
easier to use than the Baytril tablets because the
tablets take a long time to dissolve in the apple
juice but the enrofloxacin is already in powdered form
so it dissolves into the apple juice quickly.  I get
the Enrofloxacin in 22.7 mg capsules and sometimes if
the pet needs less I will open up the capsule, empty
half or whatever the dosage is into a very small
dipping bowl, draw up some apple juice with a syringe,
usually about 1 1/2 cc and empty the apple juice into
the small bowl containing the Enrofloxacin.  I mix the
medicine with the juice and then suck it back into the
syringe.  Then I give it to the patient.  22.7 was
usually the standard dose for my rabbits.  But they
can make up any size dose for you.  For some reason it
is cheaper for them to do 100 at a time.  You may not
need 100 at a time but with 7 pets in our home we
always have a use for them.  For the rabbits and
guinea pigs I mix the powder with something so I empty
the powder out of the capsule.  With the cats I use
the Bullseye Pillgun so I leave it in the capsule.
The other pain medicines I have on hand are baby
aspirin which is over the counter, Rimadyl which is by
prescription and torbutrol which I can only get from
the vet.  I have only used the torbutrol on guinea
pigs after surgery.  I have not yet needed to use the
baby aspirin or Rimadyl for the guinea pigs.  The
aspirin, Rimadyl and torbutrol have been used with the
rabbits.  But I ALWAYS talk to my vet first before I
use them.  By having things on hand I don't have to
pay for rush shipping and I have the opportunity to
order online for cheaper prices.
I have the Ivermectin on hand as well as infant
Mylecon drops (cheapest at Costco).
I didn't always have these medicines on hand.  But
through the years when the different animals have
become ill and needed them, I've learned about them
and learned that having some extra around is a good
thing.  Most vets won't give you torbutrol just for
the sake of having it on hand.  But if your guinea pig
has an abscess removed or teeth removed then I would
discuss pain management at home.  Tell them you want
to be prepared.  Torbutrol usually causes them to be
really lethargic and not eat so sometimes they don't
want to prescribe it for certain things.  Earlier in
the month our bunny Hazel had a bladder infection.  We
took her to the vet, she got diagnosed and we went
home to treat her.  I gave her IV fluids at home
(instead of them giving it to her at the office) and I
already had the Enrofloxacin at home for her.  But
late in the evening I could tell she was in a lot of
pain.  So I called my vet and discussed what I could
do to treat her pain overnight when he wasn't
available.  We started out with baby aspirin which
didn't help.  We then moved on to Rimadyl which didn't
help either.  So finally at 2:00 in the morning I gave
her the Torbutol which finally worked.  She stopped
grinding her teeth, started hopping around and eating.
 Instead of getting tired as most animals would she
actually got hyper.  Regardless she felt better and I
didn't have to start looking for an ER Vet that had an
exotic on staff that night.  We don't have an ER Vet
with a regular exotic on every night in Los Angeles.
It also saved me a lot of money and a long drive.  My
bunny Hazel felt much better which made me feel much
better!  Plus there may have not been a place for me
to bring her.
I think it would be reasonalbe for your regular
veterinarian to phone in a prescription for something
basic like Enfrofloxacin and Ivermectin for you to
have on hand.  You shouldn't have to buy it through
your vet's office if you can find it cheaper somewhere
else.  If you are comfortable giving injections or
fluids yourself then having syringes and fluids as
well and the tubing is necessary too.  You need a
prescription for the fluids.
Do you have a yearly check up scheduled with your vet
soon?  At that time I would I would discuss the fact
that you are setting up a guinea pig first aid kit and
in order to save money you would like to order some
prescription medications and have them on hand so they
are there when you need them.  Tell your vet you will
come in for diagnosis first and won't treat on your
own.  Ask what they recommend that you have and tell
them what you want.  If you recently saw your vet then
call them and discuss it on the phone.  If your vet
isn't cooperative then find a new vet.  This is a good
way to find a new one.  If they are willing to help
you set up a first aid kit and take the time to talk
to you about it, you will get a good feel.  You would
need to set up an appointment for your pets to see
them to get established so they would want to see them
before writing any prescriptions.
I hope my emails aren't so long as to be annoying to
people.  I suppose no one has to read them and can
just delete them.  I really enjoy GPDD and getting to
know everyone.

Lydia

The website for the Golden Gate Vet Pharmacy is
ggvetrx.com/ .  Let me know if you need info. for any
other medications or supplies.