[Gpdd] Misc: Salt blocks

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Sun Feb 27 20:39:49 EST 2005

Jaime,
   We've always had salt blocks in our Piggie's cages. Salt blocks are not necessary, as Piggies do usually get enough in their pellets. However, I have read in many places that they will only use the blocks to supplement their diets if they need it. I have found the salt licks last a long time as our Piggies only occasionally lick them.
   As for the concerns you have about chews, it is probably not a good thing for Albert to chew on metal. But their teeth are very strong and need to chew on hard things to keep them the proper length. In addition to their pellets and timothy, they should always have variety of chews. Our Piggies have bark bites, toilet paper rolls, various wood chews, and chubes to bite on. You have to experiment with different things and give your Piggie a chance to "discover" the chew and figure out what it's for. Sometimes the chews we get are completely ignored, but other times I just have to be patient and let them decide to try it.

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is
"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."