[Gpdd] Health/Cystitis

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:24:53 EST 2005

Hi Juliette,

Several of my female piggies have had cystitis and one of my males had a
bladder stone which had to be removed surgically. It was the size of a large
pea! Sweetheart, one of my older females, had a bad case of cystitis. She
was passing blood in her urine, so I took her to the vet and she was given a
round of Baytril. When I took her back for a checkup, the vet pressed on her
bladder to get a urine specimen and quite a bit of blood came out...more
than I had ever seen her pass before. So, he did an x-ray which showed that
her bladder walls had thickened due to the infection. She seems to have had
it for some time without my realizing it, since she never cried when she
passed urine (unlike my males, who vocalized their discomfort). She seemed
normal in every way, with a big appetite and lots of playfulness. Anyway,
her vet put her on another round of Baytril and that cleared it up. She has
an inverted vulva and so I have to be careful to keep her clean in that
area,because it can get irritated otherwise and that can lead to those
infections. I'm not sure why, but our vet said not to give her any cranberry
juice. I'll have to ask him about it in the future. He did mention something
about giving her a medication that would affect the composition of her urine
if her infection didn't clear up, but so far he hasn't had to.  I guess that
it took about 2-3 weeks for her to get over it.  I hope that your piggie
will feel better soon.

Best wishes and lots of wheeks from,
Sherry and the piggies ( Sweetheart, Ivory, Lucky, CJ, Cinnamon, Wimpy,
Mr.T, Stripe, Pepper, Merry, Cocoa, Fluffy, Flick, Ginger, and Newbie)