[Gpdd] MISC: GPs at Tractor Supply Company :(

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 19:53:14 EST 2005

Hi everyone!

I had to write and tell you how mortified I was to walk into a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and find guinea pigs there for sale. Up until last week I worked part-time at TSC (at a different store) and this is the time of year when they get chicks and ducklings in. Well, this year they also decided to do rabbits (even at my old store) for which I was pretty upset about because of the whole "Easter bunny" scenario...

Anyway, I was on my way home from work (my new "real" job) and stopped at this other store to get some Woody Pet. In case you are familiar with Woody pet it is a 30lb bag of pine pellets (like Feline Pine or AllPet Pine) for about 5.50/bag (thus a whole lot cheaper!) and I line the bottom of my cages with woody pet and put shavings on top of that and it helps with absorbency.

Anyway! Sorry, I seem to be distracting myself here. So I went in the store and back by the chicks and stuff were rabbits and guinea pigs! In RABBIT cages, meaning standing on metal grids! I was so mortified I went to the front and more or less made a big scene about their living conditions and that it was cruel and would lead to all sorts of problems like bumblefoot and all of that. They did seem genuinely concerned and worked to remedy the situation but I was so upset! I am going to write a letter to TSC corporate, but the whole point I am trying to make is if you have a TSC near you, can you just stop in and make sure if they have GPs there, they aren't in such horrible accomodations?

I don't know why they decided to sell them, but I intend to find out and let them know what I think. I am quite glad I am no longer working there and think I am going to try and find another place to buy Woody Pet.

And on a completely different topic, my Zippy is horribly embarrassed because when we went to the vet for his itching, they shaved his worst spot so the poor guy barely comes out of his pigloo. He lives with two girls (he is neutered) and they love him anyway but he still acts all shy! It is quite cute really!

Sorry for the epic post!

Take care,
Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks