[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Hair Loss

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 10:05:49 EST 2005

Hi Friends:
Just want to ask if anyone out there has had a MALE piggy with unexplained
hair loss?  This whole thing started on (or around) 12-11.  I  discovered G.I.
Joe had (nasty looking) Bumblefoot.  It was the weekend, so  off to the vet we
went on Monday.  Since then, he has had cultures taken  (all negative so far,
& Monday will be 14 days), has had two rounds of  Baytril, has Malaseb
(dabbed on his ears), a round of ivermectin, and gets his  foot soaked twice a day
in chlorhexidine. BUT - he has lost almost all of his  hair from midway all the
way back on his left side (right side is okay).   One very good person (here
on the GPDD) suggested that I post the  question.  We have been to the vet
several times.  The vet has taken  digital pictures and sent them to a Dr. in
Boston that is specializing in  exotics - the Dr. also was not sure what it could
be. "Barbering" by Spike (G.I.  Joe's cagemate) was also mentioned, but I
have not seen anything that would  indicate that.  G.I.'s foot looks much, much
better - he was, but is not  now scratching (well you know - all piggies
scratch some - his is not  overexcessive), and the only time I heard a peep out of
him was when he got the  shots of ivermectin.  He loves to eat - his poops look
okay (they were a  little soft - probably from Baytril, but a couple of doses
of plain yogurt  helped clear that).  So all in all - he seems happy and okay
- he just  looks - well BALD!  At this rate, my mom will be knitting him a
sweater  soon!  I will also add, that he and Spike were on "Woody Pet", because
of  G.I. Joe's allergies - (with changes every 2 to 3 days).  It seemed to
work  real well - even better than Aspen for him.  Since this started - he and
Spike are now on blankets (for cushioning) with a sheet on top.  I now  change
their bedding daily - sometimes twice a day.  Any suggestions or  comments are
welcome.  Thanks and I am sorry this was long. Happy 2005 to  all!
Donna (Tom, Huck, Spike, and "Mr. Baldy!" - alias G.I.  Joe)