[Gpdd] HEALTH: Patches Illness

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 20:27:41 EST 2005

Sadly, I must announce that my Patches is very ill.  He has been to the vet
twice and has had two courses of Baytril.  He started out with a respiratory
infection which was passed on to my other piggies. They have recovered
(hopefully) after the first Baytril treatment.  He became ill right away again after
the first treatment (10 days) and the vet put him on another ten day treatment.
I also bought him a small reptile heating pad to put under one end of his
enclosure.  He stopped eating and we have been syringe feeding him for over a
month now.  Also have been feeding him probiotics.  He has now developed a lump
on the front of his throat/neck area and has stopped pooping.  I gave him a
small amount of olive oil (as recommended by cavy care book) to hopefully loosen
up his system.  He has everyone baffled as to what the problem is now, and I
would very much appreciate any advice and prayers from my friends on Cavy
Digest.  Patches is just four years old and is a very sweet and lovable cavy.  I
pray that he can pull out of this and get well, but I don't want him to suffer
either.  Losing our little friends is losing a member of our family and is
always terribly painful.  Sadly, Debra, Patches, Peanut, Pumpkin and Calico