[Gpdd] MISC.: Rabbits for our Guinea Pig

Nellie Sommer gerenzie_cls at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 11:57:25 EST 2005

We have been have problems with the vet we go to when he neuters our male
guinea pigs. The three we have had neutered all passed away within a six
months of getting neutered. An anesthesiologist friend of ours suspected our
males had kidney damage because of the amount of anesthetic used when they
were being neutered. The guinea pigs showed symptoms of kidney damage, so we
are almost positive that was the problem. Unfortunately, we learned from
experience. We now have an male who we are afraid to get neutered. We also
have three females that we are afraid to get spayed. Though our male,
Dmitri, gets lots of attention, we think he needs a friend to keep him
company. We are probably not going to get another male guinea pig, because
they are liable to fight. We have heard, however, that rabbits and guinea
pigs get along well. After researching it more, we found that the majority
of the people would not recommend it. Most websites said that the rabbit
would kick the guinea pig, and if you wanted to keep them together, you
needed a mellow dwarf. One website said that rabbits carry a disease called
bordatella, which does not affect them but would kill a guinea pig. Now we
are reluctant even to get a rabbit, but we still want one. We don't which
websites to trust, etc. Does anyone have rabbits and guinea pigs together
that might have input for us? Thanks, Nellie and Dmitri