[Gpdd] Re: Neutering

BARRINGER JAMIE MAE barringj at ucsu.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:52:31 EST 2005

Hi Samantha,
	I had my two sibling boars neutered in July. They were both about
8 months old at the time. I looked for an affordable vet who had neutered
a guinea pig before. I found one a block from my house that gave me a huge
discount and was very good with the piggies. He had some experience with
guinea pigs, and equally importantly he was happy to be working with such
cute, friendly critters. The entire staff at the vet office I took them to
loved them and they got lots of petting and attention the entire day they
were there. The vet described for me in detail what the procedure would
entail, and did a full check-up on both pigs while I was there. They also
gave both pigs a pedicure while they were still under. One important thing
to remember, no matter what your vet says, is that piggies should NOT fast
prior to surgery. They cannot vomit the way we do, and need tho have food
and water in them before and after surgery to have a good prognosis. Mine
each got a baby carrot after the surgery. They were drowsy still when I
brought them home. I moved to my new apartment a week or so later, and
they got to move in with their respective lady pigs on arrival in the new
apartment. They haven't had any complications.
 -Jamie