[Gpdd] {MEDICAL} - Serious eye problem

Sobremonte Acres McDonald24364 at webtv.net
Sun Jan 9 04:21:19 EST 2005

My guinea pig had a large seed piece lodge deeply under her eyelid, I
managed to get it out but the eye surface had gone opaque and the
outside of the eyeball was red. It was swollen initially but after i
bathed it with cold tea it went down. How long could it have been in? i
feel so guilty i didn't notice it before but i'm sure i would have
noticed it!

However we took her to the vet as i was concerned about damage and
infection. He said there was an infection and an ulcer on the eye
surface. So he's given us the usual Baytril at 0.5ml twice a day and
drops to be adminstered once four times a day - Chloramphenicol.
What I am concerned about is that he said if its not better in 7 days
we'll have to consider removing the eye! The operation scares me as i
know they're not good under anaesthetic. Does anyone know of anything we
can given her to help it get better? In the Peter Guerney book it
suggests a brewers yeast tablet twice a day - is this any good? and how
do i administer it? Any help is much appreciated Vicki and Abby

>>I use the Opti-Free Express multi-purpose disinfecting solution.  I
was told from the rodents expert to use it for pets and I've tried that
on for my pet rat and it works great.

You can check out Peter Gurney's website:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/