[Gpdd] Health: Colds?

Sobremonte Acres McDonald24364 at webtv.net
Sun Jan 9 04:51:55 EST 2005

Hi all, the piggy madness has just begun for me, as I've recently
acquired my first one, a sweet little boy named Max.  I've had him less
that a week, and I've noticed that one of his eyes has been a bit
crusty, and his nose is also a bit "boogery" or congested.  His
breathing sounds fine and he eats, drinks, and plays just fine. Should I
worry?  What can I do for him?  Does this require vet attention?  Help!
Lisa and her new love, Max

>>The most common health problem seen in guinea pigs are colds that
result from drafts, dampness or temperature fluctuations. While we don't
think of colds as being too serious, Piggy's cold can quickly develop
into pneumonia, so it's important to have him examined by your
veterinarian as soon as you notice signs of illness. Also, if your pet
stops eating, have him seen immediately by the veterinarian, as this can
be life-threatening.

DIET
Complete balanced, dry foods are available from pet shops, but remember
that guinea pigs need a supply of good quality hay / grazing. They also
have a particular need for vitamin C - thoroughly washed raw fruit or
vegetables and/ or a vitamin C supplement should be provided. Always
ensure that fresh water is available from a drinking bottle with a
stainless steel spout. Guinea pigs eat their own droppings - some of
their soft droppings contain valuable proteins. BEWARE... Raw runner
beans are toxic to guinea pigs.   {Guinea pigs can catch colds from
humans. If you have a cold ask someone else to feed them. A healthy
guinea pig should live for 4 - 7 years if kept clean and dry. They must
be examined regularly - especially their ears, eyes, noses and bottoms.}
Giving your guinea pigs access to a gnawing block will help to wear down
their teeth which grow continually, however, an occasional visit to the
vet may be required in order to clip their teeth and claws.