[Gpdd] [Misc] Rodeo Bud

svtaylor1 at excite.com svtaylor1 at excite.com
Sun Jan 9 12:17:59 EST 2005

Dear Carla,

Wow! What a great story about Rodeo Bud and the tornado! He is a great guy, seems to really enjoy the exciting and sometimes harrowing cowboy lifestyle. Since you are into both horses and guinea pigs, I thought I'd share with you some similarities that I have noticed between the two. For instance, when GP's get mites, they are given Ivermectin just like horses when they have worms. GP's have a gap between their incisors and molars. Their teeth are constantly growing (kind of like horse's teeth that are constantly erupting). Like horses, GP's have a large cecum for digesting hay and they can get bloat and colic if they eat too much rich food or if their diet changes too much too fast. Fortunately for our piggy friends, they do not have hooves so they don't get laminitis too. Piggies and horses both like hay, oats, carrots, apples and more. Piggies have a reduced number of toes on the back feet (three), horses a reduced number too (just the one on each foot). Both animals' offspring are born ready to eat and run within a very short time and both have two teats in the groin area rather than in rows up the abdomen like many other animals. I think all these similarities are because they evolved in a similar environment, the grassy plain. By the way, do you ever come through the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area in your travels?

---Yours, Susan and Cally in New Mexico, USA