[Gpdd] Health Care: Neutering and Noel

Luita Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 10 09:00:09 EST 2005

Hello All:

Just my two cents on two current issues. Both Bert and Ernie are
neutered - all animals available for adoption at the animal shelter in
Berlin are neutered or spayed while on site. The veterinarian there has
a great deal of experience, and neither of the boys has experienced any
problems, although Bert was neutered when VERY young, and I believe the
lack of manly hormones stunted his growth slightly. I believe neutering
can be a safe operation as long as the vet is very, very experienced,
and the procedure certainly gives the guinea pig more opportunities for
same-species companionship than otherwise. However, if you have the
slightest doubt whatsoever about the vet's experience, DON'T DO IT.

As for Noel, the abused "parachute guinea pig": I imagine that many GPDD
members were like me, and wrote to officials concerned without
necessarily telling the Digest about it (In my case, I wrote to the
district
attorney's office and alerted them to the international nature of
concern and attention to the case). I agree with Priscilla and Guinness
- fun on the digest is not mutually exclusive with more serious matters,
and please let us not assume that those engaged in Digest silliness
aren't also doing their part to make the world kinder and better. My
assumption is just the opposite.

Bert and Ernie join me in wishing you all a very happy new year.

Luita
Bert and Ernie