[Gpdd] [MEDICAL] - Serious eye problem

svtaylor1 at excite.com svtaylor1 at excite.com
Mon Jan 10 11:25:04 EST 2005

Dear Vicki,

Years ago, when I had my sweet Charo (who is now at the Rainbow Bridge), she also got a seed stuck way under her eyelid and behind her eye. The vet removed it after putting in a numbing solution, then he had me put antibiotic ointment in her eye for a few days. This not only fought infection like the chloramphenicol drops your vet prescribed, but also lubricated and soothed Charo's eye. Her eye did get cloudy (vet said it was ulcerated) so after the ointment therapy, the vet had me put in steroid drops for a few days to cut down on inflamation. He said it was important to use the cortisone only after the antibiotic had done its work. Charo's eye eventually cleared up completely and became shiny black as though nothing had ever happened. I hope that your piggy recovers as well as Charo did. If the vet says the eye must be removed, he could be right because sometimes an infection in one eye will start an immune response that causes the other eye to go blind. I would, however, be very sure that this is really necessary. Ask him if steroid drops might help, maybe even get a second opinion, because the eye can look pretty bad but then get all better. I wish I could tell you what to do but you will have to use your best judgement in making your decision. In any case, do not despair. Although you want to do all you can to save your piggy's eye, there are many out there who have lost sight in one or both eyes and they still get along quite well. - - Susan in New Mexico, USA