[Gpdd] HEALTH: feeds for GP's

Whistle Ridge whistleridge at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 10 14:48:23 EST 2005

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can answer some questions I have about different supplemental feeds for piggies.  My pigs all get Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, the most appropriate veggies, and Timothy hay.  I have one pig, Chloe, I have written about before who is difficult to keep weight on.  I currently supplement the above diet for her with alfalfa hay, carrots, Pacer horse feed (on suggestion obtained from the digest).  Also, I'll feed her pretty much anything she seems interested in, just to try to keep weight on her (well, OK, nothing that is OBVIOUSLY bad for her and everything is in moderation).  I've also seen mentioned that dry oatmeal can be offered (she doesn't like it) and she doesn't really care for the alfalfa based pellets either.  Could she have cooked oatmeal???  Every so often, she decides that she absolutely hates some food that she has been DEVOURING for several weeks, and I go back to the drawing board to find something to replace it.  I also wrote in about feeding kelp to GP's, but had no response, and am still wondering about that.  Just looking for some good alternatives for her.

As an aside, Chloe has actually kept weight on easier since I purchase a couple of Snuggle Safe's for her.  For the first time since she came into rescue, she has actually stretched out to sleep on top of her Snuggle Safe...truly relaxing!  I think she has some arthritis problems as well, and she isn't really comfortable unless she is on me for body heat that helps her joints relax.  Thanks in advance to any of you who may have some ideas for me!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Animal Assisted Programs
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue
576 Trapp Road