[Gpdd] [otibuary] Remembering Cleo....

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 19:03:00 EST 2005

Otibuary for Cleopatra Robertson, beloved guinea pig and pet

It always amazes me that such small animals can make such a big impact in our lives.  Cleo passed away today during surgery to remove a tumor on her left shoulder.  A tumor had been removed from the same spot in 2004 and the pathology was very poor, so when we saw it was returning we knew our girl might be gone soon.  An exray indicated the tumor was growing out, but once the surgery began we learned that it was also growing inward, and it had already penetrated the lung with an abcess forming deep in the tissue.  Dr. Scott said that Cleo took a long, deep breathe and then was gone.

Cleo was 6 & 1/2 years old.  If I had to describe her in one word, it would be a "fighter".  She was rescued from an abusive owner, arriving skin and bones from lack of food.  An American short hair, she had thick white fur, with a mask of brown and black on her face, and a half-moon on her butt.  Once restored to health, she was a sleek 2 pounds, 4 ounces most of her life.  We adopted her from the rescue in August of 1999.  She immediately took over the house.  We also adopted her cage mate Spookie, a black and white silkie, but Cleo ruled the roost.

I say she was a fighter because at three she developed an intestinal blockage.  After three days of treatment, she passed the mass and was as good as new.  Her health held until last summer when we discovered a tumor on her left shoulder and one in the groin area.  She came through the surgery and thrived until the recent tumor, which proved to be her final battle.

But, Cleo did not lose this fight.  When I was taking her to the vet this morning there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky.  I think God was letting me know that she was ready to rest.  We brought her home and buried her in the back yard in warm towels with her favorite treat and some fresh grass - which she loved.  This weekend we will buy a white rose bush to place in her honor, a fitting tribute to her memory.

Cleo always made us laugh.  She could be standing in a pile of greens, and if she heard the fridge door or a rattle of paper she would squeal and run in circles.  As was our routine, I would put towels in our large bathtub in the morning and the girls would play inside the tub while I cleaned their cage.  I would always go out and cut some fresh, green grass for them.  The minute the front door would close, Bob said Cleo would run to the side of the tub and stretch up as high as she could.  Then when she saw my head coming through the door she would squeal like she was straving.  She loved to run, and several times she had us hopping to try and catch her when she managed to slip out of the play pen area in our back yard.

Cleo had little use for other guinea pigs.  Maybe the time of starvation marked her.  Right after her adoption we took her to a pignic.  She bullied every other pig in the place - strutting around with her fur on end, rumbling as if to say, "don't mess with me."  But she loved people, and would lay in your lap or on your chest purring with contentment.  At Christmas she had her pigture taken in a Santa hat.  We called her Cleo Claus.

Miss Cleo, you will always be missed.  Rest well little one, and look down upon us from the bridge and remember always that you were loved in this world.

Your mom & dad slaves, Bob & Chris, and Spookie, your cage mate who misses you already.