[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE]Rainbow Bridge - Spike

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 22:42:16 EST 2005

Dear Friends:
It is with great sadness and tears that I need to announce my Spike has  gone
over the Rainbow Bridge.  He was 5 1/2 years old.  It happened so  quickly,
that I am still in somewhat of a shocked state.  He, Tom, and Huck  had their
play time for about 45 minutes on the floor Sunday morning.  I  had cleaned
their cages and filled the bowls with veggies.  Before putting  them back, I
checked (and trimmed) their nails.  All seemed fine.  He  was in the cage by
himself ( I had seperated him and G.I. Joe for a couple  of days because Spike had
started being kind of aggressive toward G.I. -  guarding the entrance to the
pigloo and not letting him out to eat.  - As I look back now, I should have
realized that Spike wasn't feeling  well).  Spike never missed an opportunity to
eat.  Within 10 minutes I  realized he had not touched his food. Then I
noticed he was heaving and foaming  from the mouth.  I am always right there with
them when they are out,  and  I tried to think of what he could have gotten
into. The only thing  that was on the floor was a paper bag that they love to play
in.  It had  been chewed on, but just a little.  I called the emergency vet
clinic, but 1 of the 2 vets on call knew nothing about exotics, the 2nd  knew
very little. (At least they were honest and up front about  that.)   They
offered to give him fluids if I brought him in.  I  was able to reach one of the
wonderful people on the DSN, and after discussing  Spike's situation decided
against taking him in. (If he had a heart  episode, fluids could possibly kill
him).  All day, he continued to make  the dry heaving noises, and only ate a
little piece of spinach and a small  amount of yogurt that I was able to get
down him.  I was able to give him a  few drops of water at a time by syringe.
Throughout his obvious  discomfort he was so brave.  He did not cry and let me
cuddle and hold him  - he even slept on the couch with me for a while,but his
conditioned  worsened.  By the time my vet saw him Monday, he was unresponsive
and not  moving his back legs. The x-rays showed a large abnormal dark pocket
on his left  back side.  The Dr. extracted some thick amber looking fluid,
which could  be a sign of renal failure.  I made the decision for him not to
suffer  anymore.  I love and miss him so much.  It is so hard to try to be
upbeat for the sake of the others.  They are so much smarter than anyone  gives
them credit for and seem to know he is gone.  He is the last of my  initial four,
and is now in the back yard with Romeo, Latte, and Hershey.   My Mom gave me
a small primrose to plant back there (when the weather  permits).  He is such
a special boy -- my sweet, sweet Spike.  Please  keep him in your prayers.
Donna (Tom - Huck - and G.I. Joe)