[Gpdd] Re: Care for Rpdney and PJ

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 15:07:17 EST 2005

Dear PJ,
I read your lament about things being bad and I am sure in your world right
now they may seem that way. There are two things I would say to you and both
are as true as true gets. First, no matter how bad y ou feel you have it there
are so many more that don't have it near as good. You will never see this until
you look behind you because that is where the like of those less fortunate
than you begins, and trust me the line is much longer than you can see. I say
this because once you realize this, you can work on what you truly want, and
that is having Rodney love you. I don't know how long you have had this little
guy or how old he is. I can say this though with certainty, guinea pigs live to
love and to feel love. If there is one animal God has placed on this earth to
show what a loving heart is, it IS a guinea pig. You say he doesn't like you
which is something that is truly impossible. He just hasn't taken to you yet.
his time can be very short or run as long as a year. You have ONE guinea pig
and he WILL bond with you. Give him his little surprises like carrots and
parsley slowly and if he hides put it where he can see it and let him have his own
time to eat it. Make SURE you keep fresh water and food in his house all the
time. and "try" not to handle him TOO much now but you do need to hold him. Pick
him up slowly if you can let him see your hands and when you do get him, hold
him close to your neck and shoulder and I'm sure he will settle into it.
Don't be afraid to give him some people kisses on his fur near his head and ears
but don't "smack" just some little ones. Hold him as long as you think he is
comfortable and then CAREFULLY and SLOWLY put him in his house for the night.
and ALWAYS tell him you love him and treat every single day as though you knew
it was his last. In time Rodney will be giving YOU guinea pig licks/kisses. If
he does snap on occasion just don't get mad...remember he is afraid and is
only doing what is natural for him.

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Petrillo, GEORGE the guinea pigs daddy for ever