[Gpdd] [misc]I am feeling much better now

jennifertheis at comcast.net jennifertheis at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 13:51:19 EST 2005

Hi PJ and Rodney!  I am new as well to the Gpdd.  My first GP Sweetie Pie was alone for the first 2 years we had her.  She didn't move around much or show much interest in us.  I found that all the hay she can eat was really good for her and made her happy, and if its hard to get a variety of veggies, at least give Rodney baby carrotes or the occasional apple.  Some people use towels tied to the edge of a cage to create a tent for the piggies, and I take a cardboard TP roll, cut it lengthwise (so they don't get stuck) and stuff it with hay or veggies for a toy.  Just keep talking to him, and always pet and touch him when you feed him.  Just remember, guinea pigs don't always get cuddly,  thats not their style, even when they like you.  For bedding, I recommend lots of newspaper underneath to be able to use less bedding.  Remember that a piggie can't be happy in a dirty cage, so if the cage is small, you might need to clean it twice a week, or everytime it smells.  Good luck with Rodney, always keep researching to learn more about your new friend. In time, you might be able get him a playmate and a bigger cage, but only if you first learn to take the best care of the one you have.

Many Weeeeeks from Sweetie Pie and Pumkin Pie, and their mom, Jennifer

PS:  Good job on the potty training, it comes naturally for some pigs, and it helps a lot, but don't worry about the poops, those usually end up everywhere :)