[Gpdd] (Misc) PJ feeling better

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 20:10:21 EST 2005

PJ,
I'm glad you are feeling better. Consider yourself
lucky that you have a potty trained piggy! I have one
who is very clean and only goes potty in one corner of
his pen...but that's only one out of 10 piggies! All
the others go wherever they feel like going.
What are you using for bedding now? Probably the
cheapest for you would be pine shavings. They aren't
the greatest (aspen is better if you can afford it)
but pine is still better than cedar (NEVER USE CEDAR)
or any of that chlorophyll stuff. If you can put a
layer of newspaper in the bottom of the cage and
shavings on top it'll help. The newspaper is pretty
absorbent and not too expensive if you already have it
around the house. Just don't use glossy paper (like
magazine paper or those fancy advertisements) and
don't use the colored paper like the comics if you can
help it.
Try giving Rodney some fun things to chew on, like a
toilet paper roll with timothy hay stuffed into it. My
pigs love that. Or maybe an inexpensive bird toy, like
the ones that have a mirror and a little bell on them,
or the hanging ones with little pieces of wood. He
needs stuff to chew on. I used to have a pig named
Cosmo (he went to the Rainbow Bridge many years ago)
who LOVED to look at himself in the mirror, and he
quickly figured out that I would give him a carrot if
he rang the bell...he started ringing that bell all
the time! You could also give Rodney a paper oatmeal
container with the ends cut off, or an empty tissue
box (just make sure there's no plastic on it). Or even
a plain brown paper bag or wadded up piece of writing
paper is fun for them to play with.
Good luck,
-Stacy and the Squee Squad