[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Simethicone and digestive problems

Tex texg at cavyinfo.com
Thu Jan 13 21:32:16 EST 2005

We've used simethicone for some time; it is used to relieve gas in piggies.
Before I go into brands and how much to use, let me say that *occasional*
digestive discomfort in a piggie can be normal (if they eat too much too
fast, or sometimes a new type of fruit or vegetable), but if the gas
happens often, or the piggie is bloated (puffy), you need to see a vet, as
this is a symptom of a digestive tract disorder called gut stasis. If your
piggie is passing irregularly-shaped droppings, soft droppings or has
diarrhea, has a reduced or no appetite, and appears "puffy" (as in hair
fluffed out), these are additional  symptoms. It's important to see a
qualified exotics vet with guinea pig experience, as there is medication
that can help. Even without medication, gut stasis can be managed - but it
can be a long, slow process, taking weeks or months.

Additionally, if your piggie is bloated to the point that their abdomen is
swollen and hard, you need to see a vet IMMEDIATELY, as this is a
life-threatening situation.

Now, about simethicone: Sweetie Pigg had a finicky digestive system (along
with all her other problems); she would get a tummyache for one reason or
another, usually because she ate too fast and swallowed air. We'd give her
0.1cc (one-tenth of one cc) simethecone, and a tummy rub to help break up
the gas bubbles (tummy rub about 5 minutes after dosing).

She was quite happy with the Wal-Mart "Equate" brand: you can use any
infant/child "gas medication", but *read the label* and make certain it
contains simethicone and not a different chemical.

The simethicone can be repeated in 15 - 20 minutes if need be; we never had
to give more than a couple of doses.

Hope that's useful.

Tex