[Gpdd] Misc: Re: "Piggie Bags"

Tex texg at cavyinfo.com
Thu Jan 13 21:51:22 EST 2005

OK, here's one for you all:

A few years ago, we went out to dinner for our anniversary to a reasonably
good restaurant (the kind of place where after you eat something the waiter
comes over with a "crumb chaser" so as to keep the table linen spotless).
For our appetizer, we had escargot in puff pastry (which was good, but not
as good as the traditional "snails swimming in garlic butter"). The
appetizers were server quite eloquently, with a bouquet of fresh watercress
adorning the pastries. Not a sprig, mind you - a large handful on each
plate. Well, we weren't in the mood for watercress with our escargot, so I
set both our portions aside on a little side plates(can you guess what's
coming?).  When the server came over to remove our plates, she went to take
the watercress. I stopped her. "No," I said. "I have a small herd of guinea
pigs at home that would love to have that. Please have it wrapped for me, ok?"

The server looked at me, and seeing I was serious said, "Uh, um, is it ok
if I put it over there" - she indicated the bar - "until you're done with
dinner?"

I didn't want to obstruct the duty of the Crumb Captain, so I agreed. She
took the plate and *hid* it behind the bar.

At the end of the meal, I reminded her "Don't forget my watercress". We got
a nice little container, along with the other leftovers wrapped as gleaming
swans in aluminum foil.

The piggies loved their treat!

Tex

P.S. Much to the dismay of my spouse, I am always putting grape tomatoes
and other yummies in my pockets for the piggies when we go somewhere to eat.