[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Getting Male Piggies to be Friends

Anderson, Jocelyn jocelynm at umich.edu
Mon Jan 17 08:11:15 EST 2005

Hello all,

            This last Friday I picked up a male guinea pig from the
humane society so that my five-month-old Little John could have a
friend.  The new pig is shy and about two times the size of Little John.
They've done a lot of purring / bum following / mounting, which I've
read is normal for finding out who is top piggy.  However, they've been
doing it non-stop since Friday. I had them separated at first and
introduced on neutral ground, and right now they're in the same cage.
They ALMOST seem to get along.  They were eating out of the same food
bowl this morning, and they'll sometimes not bother each other. But
Little John is a trouble maker and he always starts up the purring
again.

            Should I keep these pigs together?  Is there something I can
do to make them get along better?

Thanks,

Jocelyn, Spybreak t. Fatmammal, Little John, and an as-of-yet unnamed
fuzzy orange piggy