[Gpdd] CARE: Moving with guinea pigs

LAWeaver1 at aol.com LAWeaver1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 18 20:34:48 EST 2005

Hi,

First of all I want to thank everyone for the kind words offered with the
passing of Mattie.  I still haven't quite come to terms with the fact I don't see
her little face every morning but it's becoming a bit easier as the weeks
pass.  I find myself with the chance of moving to North Carolina soon, for the
fall semester in August to be exact.  My question for everyone here...how has
everyone's experiences been with moving with piggies?  This is going to be a
long haul, probably about two and a half days worth of driving, and I want to
make sure that the trip is as easy and safe as possible.  Also, one of my piggies
get extremely stressed out by car travel, to the point I think he's going to
physically hurt himself while in the carrier.  I've tried gradually
desensitizing him to car travel with short trips, but it hasn't worked.  Would it be
kinder and less stressful for him if I was to place him in a different home here
and not force him to endure the long drive, or is there a way to make it
easier for him?  I want to do what's best for the piggy, even if that means someone
else becomes his new family.

Thanks,
Lynette