[Gpdd] CARE - moving with guinea pigs

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Wed Jan 19 15:18:58 EST 2005

Lynette,

     I don't know if moving with your guinea pigs would be somewhat the same as traveling with them but I can give you the benefit of much trial and error traveling with Rodeo Bud this last summer. I also don't know how many piggies you have so that is certainly a big factor but here is what I learned traveling with Bud. I tried using a carrier (which I still use on short trips to the vet or to visit 'friends') but for the long haul rodeo weekends I use what I call a travel cage. This is one of those miserably small 2 feet X 1 foot so-called starter cages that all the pet stores carry. I have it set up exactly like a regular 'home' cage but, of course, it's small. I have a pellet dish and hay rack inside and, if the weather is a little cool, I put in a pigloo (that pretty much takes up the whole cage area). In warm weather I leave the pigloo out and Bud cuddles in the corner of the cage. I take down the water bottle, of course, as it would drip and I use the same bedding Bud uses to at home.
     I had Bud stay in the small cage at home for brief periods several times in advance for an hour at a time so he was used to the cage. At every rest area or gas station I gave him fruit and veggies I'd prepared in advance and had in Baggies to keep him well hydrated. I offered the water but he never drank. The veggies seemed to do the trick and, as soon as we settled down for the night, he'd drink.
     He wasn't happy or comfortable for long trips in the carrier. I'm not sure why but it could just be because it was totally boring as he couldn't see me. With the travel cage on the back seat of the truck (I use the seat belt through the wires to keep him safe) I can open the cage door and pet him whenever I want and I talk to him a lot. My husband drives so I'm hands-free. Although he spends 99% of the time snuggled down in the corner of the cage, he is alert and doesn't sleep.
     Since you're moving this may not be an option as it does take up some space but I have found it to work great with Bud and he seems happy and comfortable. I'm sure two piggies would travel this way in one cage if they were good friends as they don't seem to do much but snuggle down during the driving time.
     Hope this helps.

Carla and Bud