[Gpdd] Health: New Pigs

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Fri Jan 21 00:48:16 EST 2005

Carrie,
I have heard of small animals losing hair and developing skin irritation due to a flea/tick problem. Guinea pigs do have sensitive skin, so if the previous owners used medication meant for a dog, that may be the cause. Hair loss can also develop from a poor diet, particularly lacking in vitamin c. If the previous owners were clueless enough to used a dog medicine on a guinea pig, perhaps they were not feeding ehough or any fresh veggies. I've been told by multiple vets to avoid the liquid drops, so I feed quite a variety of fresh food. If you don't already have your own resources, check out theses sites for good info on Piggie foods:
http://guinealynx.info/
http://www.salcavies.com/health/feeding.shtml
http://www.galens-garden.mcmail.com/pet_health.htm
I know there are a bunch more, but I go here all the time. I hope this helps.

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is

"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."