[Gpdd] [MISC] <Very disturbing newsarticle. Extreme animal cruelty in Ohio >

HeidiSath3 at aol.com HeidiSath3 at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 12:15:38 EST 2005

Hello Everyone,

I woke up this morning to see this awful story on TV3 News WKYC.  They showed the petstore where a student went to purchase a guinea pig and a rabbit.  The petstore thought it was a pet and sold it to him.  The student took the animals home killed them at home and took them to school the next day for the class to skin and eat!   The school said he would not be punished because the student did not kill the guinea pig on school property and that the teacher approved the class to eat them.  I am just sick about this and thought I would post it for people to read.
The website is :
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=29092
The news station is WKYC TV3
Parents alarmed about student skinning animals in class
POSTED: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:31:45 AM
UPDATED: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:42:50 AM
THOMPSON -- A northeast Ohio high school principal says guidelines for a living skills class will be changed after a 16-year-old student skinned and cooked a Guinea pig and a rabbit during class.

The animals were purchased at a pet store and prepared yesterday at Ledgemont High School in Geauga County.

Officials at the Thompson Township Police Department and Geauga Humane Society say they received complaints from students and parents and are investigating.

Humane Officer Sarah Westman says the incident may warrant animal cruelty charges. But Ledgemont Principal Beto Gage doesn't think the boy's actions are criminal.

The boy -- who hasn't been named -- told Gage he killed the animals at home before bringing them to school.

Gage says the living skills teacher allows students to cook in class on certain days.

I just dont understand how this is not against the law.  Something should happen to the boy and his parents.